Tuesday, May 3, 2016

~My~ Chicken Fajita Salad



~My~ Chicken Fajita Salad
Serves my family of 8

4 - 5 chicken breasts
4 T. olive oil
2 lime juice
spice to your taste (I have used a mix of: garlic sarachia mix, cumin, cayenne pepper and black pepper but will use others depending on the taste)
1 onion
6 red, yellow and orange peppers
1 can sliced olives
1 can black beans
2 avacados
greens (here I used spinach but my favorite is romaine)

In a baggie: mix 3 T. olive oil, lime juice, spice and chicken breasts. Mix it all together so that chicken is coated. Put in refrigerator for as long as you can stand it. Of course, the longer you marinade it the more flavor it will have. I have done as little as 20 minutes... but longer is better.

Heat frying pan on stove top, add 1T. olive oil and chicken breasts. Fry until done through and browned.

Slice onion, slice peppers, open olives (drain), open black beans (rinse and drain), cube avocados, rip greens.

When the chicken is done put it onto a cutting board and let "rest". In the same pan cook onion and peppers until done but not mushy.

Slice chicken.

Get everything onto one counter and assemble each plate according to taste.

If you use the peppers and onions you will not need a "dressing", some of my kids do not like the peppers though so they use a ranch dressing on top.


The really awesome thing about this salad is that you can allow your kids to leave those bits they don't like off the salad. Everyone in my family likes this one (and that is rare around here). It's healthy (except I tend to eat too much of it- shame on me). And you can add things to your own taste depending on what you have on hand. I'd like to add sunflower seeds some day - but always forget to get them.  Pinion nuts might be good too, we can't because of food allergies... but it sounds good.

Enjoy, and tell me how you'd change it up.
Let me know if you make it and how you liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment