Thursday, April 21, 2016

Tip for all of my blogger friends ...

... who get a lot of guff from their grammar geek friends. I was (am) at the top of that list.



I am not a grammar geek. No, really, not at all. I have gotten 2 kids through high-school  AT HOME, and I will STILL never claim to be a grammar geek.

I have enjoyed learning how to diagram sentences, to some degree, and will not claim to be a grammar geek.

I worry about proper grammar about as much as I worry about my children having a lack of confidence. For those of you who do not know me IRL, there is NO lack of confidence in my kids.

I do, however like that people can actually READ what I have to say. I know that if I go to a blog with a lot of errors (and that I can recognize a lot of errors) it is difficult for me to stick with it.

So for all my blogger friends who get a lot of guff, or just want to improve. My favorite tool of all time is Grammarly.

You just download the app on your computer or phone, and type in blogger, in your word-processor, on the web... where ever you type you start getting little red or green arrows highlighting all your spelling and grammar errors. It even gives you suggestions on words you might have meant to use.

Like any tool, it's not perfect. I am sure some of my grammar geek friends could go crazy on some of my posts with their little red pens, but I think they give me a break because they have seen some improvement. Also, there are a lot of times when it gives me that little red arrow and an underlined word and a suggestion and, frankly they are just wrong, because ENGLISH... I won't say any more about that.

Just go, look it up, try it out, I use the free version and it works just fine.

How does this help me find my happy place? A few ways.
 * I am happier when I find less errors in my work.
 * I am happier when I learn something new. This happens when you pay attention to the errors and notice the ones you make over and over and get tired of correcting them.
And finally, and maybe even a little sassy of me.
 * I kinda like it when it gives me an error, but I can ignore it because - ha - computers are not perfect after all and it just didn't know what I meant. Yup, that does happen.

Do you have a favorite grammar checker? or are you a grammar geek?

No comments:

Post a Comment