Wednesday, February 10, 2016

John 3:16

Ash Wednesday... this pretty much says it all. This is what our priest told us to use to "explain" our ashes when people asked. It's awesome.
http://ascensionpress.com/
Praying the 40 Promises of the Cross Day 1 John 3:16


So today I messed up at mass. I felt horrible. It wasn't something I DID really, but an accident that happened. I cried. Today, the day of Ash Wednesday. I was so happy to BE present at mass... and then... well I won't go into it. There are many things that we do when we go to church that we might think better of later. Still, when I got home and sat down to read my very first promise... and then this. So, I was feeling lower than low. God gave His Son, and His Son gave His life after so much suffering we can't really even imagine. One of the most thought provoking memes on the subject:

I grabbed this off a facebook post. I have no idea who it belongs to. If you do, let me know, I will give proper credit. 

Seriously... think of that next time you try and excuse ANYTHING you do that you KNOW is wrong.

But then I remembered that this year is the Year of Mercy in the Church and instead of beating up on myself for making a mistake I will show a little mercy to myself. God has promised that we are worthy of His sacrifice, that is the promise of this verse - I think. Of course, that does not mean I am excused from confessing as well, but I can't be horrible to myself about it either. In the words of my dear husband "this too shall pass."  I can use this as a lesson to have a little more mercy towards others as well, because no matter how it looks, we are human and we make mistakes.

I think that counts as successful for day 1. What do you think about the promise for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment