Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lenten Recipes #1 Veggie Soup

I LOTHE fish. I force myself to eat it every lent, but NOT this year! :) I am Catholic and I hate fish, hear me roar.... sounds like a good battle cry doesn't it? 

Last night I made a soup, I had hoped there would be leftovers to have for lunch on Ash Wednesday, but it didn't make as much as I thought and so alas, we will have to eat something else on Wednesday. BUT it was good and I could eat it everyday if I had to so I thought I would share, just in case there are other Catholics out there with an aversion to fish as well.

It was inspired by the Weight Loss Magic Soup

The problem is that we don't always do so well with cabbage, so I switched it up a little. I will not claim that it is weight loss magic... just inspired by it. :)

My Veggie Soup
 

  • 6 cups V-8 juice 
  • 10 cups veggie broth 
  • 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 lg package sliced mushrooms
  • 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 zucchini, diced
  • 2 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onions, carrots, and celery about 5 minutes.
 

Place a large stockkpot.
In same pan
sauté zucchini, squash and mushrooms. 
  

In stock pot combine sautéed garlic and vegetables with the remaining ingredients.



    
    

Cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked.

This makes a large batch of soup. If you would like to freeze portions of it to use later, under cook the vegetables just a little. Pour the soup into freezer Ziplock bags and let as much air out as you can. Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the soup is frozen flat, it is easy to layer in your freezer and won't take up much room. To un-thaw, place the bag in the fridge for 24 hours and then reheat.

I also added some home made rolls to the mix which does not help with the "diet" part of it, but does help with the "feeding an army". 

   

*note a few of the kids do not like the soup, because it has mushrooms. They picked the mushrooms out, but I thought they added a super flavor to the soup itself so I think it's more the texture they don't like, next time I will cut them smaller. :)

  Keep Love in Lent 2014

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks delicious, and it's gluten and dairy free! It's so hard to eat meatless, dairy, and wheat free meals! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete