Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Joy Dare: 3 Gifts Found In Writing - Five Minute Friday Write

A Holy Experience
Ann Voskamp's Joy Dare
Do you dare? Click here

Five Minute Friday
It's that time again.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments.
Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

Joy Dare: 3 Gifts found in writing. Five Minute Friday: Write
Is it cheating? Maybe, that I reuse and old post, but I put my heart into this one, and because I did it really did not take much more than the 5 minutes so I'm going to link it up.  Enjoy! :)

Oh the writing machine, it's torture. There are so many styles, tonight my girls and I had fun with this one:
   
Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
It's tattered, and seen better days, well used, we have had it since our oldest (now almost 24) was little and I set off on a world of tongue twisters and lullabies. Let's just say that tongue twisters are not my talent.

And today I was surrounded by writing like this:
  
Saxon Geometry Solutions Manual
Math, also not my talent... but I have solutions manuals so I'm good.

There are pieces of writing I like to study:

Catechism of the Catholic Church
And pieces of writing that I just like to read because there is something in the writing that can help me craft my life into a better life:

Sing A New Song Psalm 96:1 by Darlene A Kaska
Some writing I can remember for a long long time. When I was younger, still in highschool, I remember reading many many words by Stephen King, not one particular phrase maybe, but the feeling of being dragged out of my biology class (sorry Mr. Richardson) and into a story that was just so interesting and took me away from my own life. Not that I had it so bad mind you, but there is just something about living (from the safe distance of my highschool biology classroom in Laramie Wyoming) through a Stephen King novel.

There are things I know I read but can't remember the next day. I won't list that here because chances are it's equally due to the aging of my brain as it is the credit of the writer.

Most of all I have fallen in love with the words that have survived time, war, criticism, and outright hatred for their very existence. They have given hope, true love, joy, and complete sustaining life to those who have read it.
   
The Holy Bible with notes NAB Study Version
I don't write as well as some, better than others. My grammar stinks, yes I DO know this. I am learning, but this old brain can only sop up only so much information. Frankly, I would rather put the word of God in there than grammar rules. Stubborn Child of God, remember? I am indeed.

Back to the gifts in writing:
#119 fun
#120 answers
#121 knowledge
#122 ideas and change
#123 memories
#124 life, eternal life
#125 a way back into writing and counting for myself
#126 satisfaction

A few tough days, then reminders that we only get out of the funk by getting up and getting OUT. Writing is where I work stuff out, where I put things I want to remember, where I hope to write or share something that will help someone else at some time, but it does not have to in order for me to feel like I've done what I set out to do.

2 comments:

  1. "Writing is where I work stuff out." Love those words. It's so true for me, too. It's also good to know I wasn't the only one reading books in class (and NOT the textbooks) ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxine, it's so great to read a glimpse into your life and hear your heart. Stopping by from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete