Friday, January 17, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Encouragement

Five Minute Friday
It's that time again.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments.
Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

Encouragement comes in so many forms
"Go mom!"
"You can do this."
"Way to go."
"I like your style."

And we hear encouragement a lot. In peoples actions and words.

So why is it that the discouragement seems so LOUD?

Recently, this past week in fact I experienced something. I get a lot of complements on the things I make, but it would seem I still lack confidence at times.
One person questioned my lack of religious knowledge based on a rosary I made for someone. I don't know if the rosary is even used, but it was made with a lot of thought and love.

 
You can see there among the beads is a small vial of sand. The colors are Navy colors. The vial is filled with Iwo Jima sand and it was made for a young lady going to the Naval Academy and I think aspiring to be a Marine.  This rosary was personal.

But last week someone new saw it and exclaimed that I had done something wrong, that you should not personalize a rosary like this. She insisted that this rosary that I put my heart into - like all my rosaries - was not a true rosary. Despite the fact that I had asked a priest, and despite the fact that a priest actually blessed this rosary, those words rang in my ear. So I went to a large group of Catholic women and asked their thoughts.

WOW! ENCOURAGEMENT followed.

The encouragement that rang out was awesome, so much so I almost felt silly for having had to ask. Of course you can personalize a rosary. If a person connects with the rosary and is ENCOURAGED to PRAY it then it is a good thing.

Not one single woman on that list with 108 comments (a few of them mine answering specific questions) mentioned that this was asked on a homeschooling page, was off topic, and probably should have at least stated it was OT. They were simply ENCOURAGING!

So, here is my thanks to all the ladies on the page! Thanks for the encouragement, and for the kind words.
You ladies ROCK!

Speaking of encouragement:
To learn, or refresh yourself on praying the Rosary
please visit this site:
 Pray the Rosary Everyday

3 comments:

  1. And that is why I wander around the blogging world reading blogs....for their words of encouragement. I might not be a young mother, I am not a home-schooling mother, I don't make up my own recipes, I am not much of a crafter. But in all of the blogs that I read I find encouragement and to me that Is why I am wandering. Glad I wandered into your space today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxine, what a beautiful rosary, and what significance to the elements you've chosen for it. I'm so glad you were able to receive and take in the power of encouragement this week from your community. I agree -- it can be so much easier to hear the voices of discouragement (perhaps because we're so likely to doubt/question ourselves, and so it feels a familiar echo). Grateful for your experience shared here. It encourages me, too. Happy to have met you through FMF. - Ashley (ashleymlarkin.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you poured yourself into this piece and I admire that you sought counsel on it beforehand and were willing to be instructed if you found out something other than what you thought. Discouragement seems to have a very loud voice sometimes and I admire you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete