Wednesday, October 2, 2013

App Review: Pepperplate Meal Planner



In my efforts to make a happy home I've been working on getting my kitchen in order. I found a great app for my phone that links to Pepperplate.  The website and app work together.
You add your recipes or recipes from a huge list of websites that are compatible. You plan your menus for as many days as needed and with a few clicks of a button it even creates a shopping list for you. When you download the app to whatever device you have (it's available for about everything), then you take it all with you where ever you go. Recipes, menus, shopping list... FANTASTIC!

Best part? It's all free. No subscription, no sucking you in, only to find out you need to pay for all the "cool" stuff. I love it.

Now before I go much further I will say it was time consuming to start. I mean it's not like they have all YOUR favorite recipes magically in one spot, but I added our standby's over the weekend and had it ready to use by Monday.

We are a busy family. Five kidlets still at home. We homeschool and the two oldest are involved in the Civil Air Patrol and Olympic style competitive shooting. They are out of the house for practice and meetings at least 3 times a week and gone for events or competitions on the weekends. In order to comply with that schedule and NOT have them eating at 10:00 pm I've decided we need to start eating more slow-cooked meals. I am not an organized person. Trying to finish school and get dinner by 4:00 pm just does not happen easily.

Along with our own standby's of pizza and spaghetti I found The Crockin Girls.  Crock pot recipe heaven!
I added several of those recipes to my "Winter menus" and went shopping. We were out of everything! Lately,  I have been trying to have more fruits and veggies in the house, but that means trying to cut other things out of our meals. It has not worked out well. $300.00 every two weeks does not go very far for 7 people, I manage... until I try to add fresh fruit and veggies. Eating healthier is more money. IT JUST IS. This shopping trip, the cupboards were bare. I took my list to the store, started to panic when it started to add up... in the end I went $75.00 over budget, but at the end of the two weeks, we will still have planned meals and the food to make them. Awesome!

No more searching around to see what I can throw together, no more "just cheese pizza" because that is all I have the ingredients for... etc. Yes, I had a plan before, but it was not as organized. This is going to be an awesome two weeks. Meal plans for the evening meals will give us left overs for lunch the next day most days. And I can use these two weeks to come up with two more weeks of winter menus. That means a whole month of different meals, set and ready to go. Then, I'll start to work on those "Summer menus".

Now of course, there is always the chance I could slide back to my old ways, but I am loving this new plan. Even though it's only been a week since I found it, three days of actually using it for meals, I love it. Three days of looking at my phone first thing in the morning, having all the ingredients for the meals, getting it started before we even begin school ... it's the life.

Small confession. Hubs was right, again. Yes, I had a plan before, but it was not very organized. So yes, after three days I know that I had still not gotten it right. Shhh, don't tell him I said that though, he already thinks he's always right.




31 Day Blogging Challenge Participant
31 Day Blog Challenge - Day 1
The idea being to blog for 31 days.
Click to join.

1 comment:

  1. Marking this as it it certainly something that I need to try out! I've been starting to meal plan and I can see that this would make things so much easier! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete