Friday, July 26, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Broken

It's that time again.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..


Five Minute Friday


Today's word: Broken

I have been thinking about broken a lot lately. You see, having 6 children has left a lot of "things" that I use to cherish (and some that I still do) break over the years. The glass globe my son made while in Germany, the glass on the curio cabinet that was my grandmothers...  some things replaceable and some not.

When I was a younger parent (less experienced) I would get angry and shout and scream. But as I have grown older (and I hope wiser) I have learned that those things that have been broken are just that, things. The words I have used in the past when things get broken do much more damage to the children God has put in my hands to care for and to protect.

I am not perfect and there are times when I still raise my voice, those days when I let the stress get to me... but I am more conscience of it now, the hurt that I inflict on little hearts. And when I look into the face of a child I've scorned, it does make me sad and it breaks something much more precious then my favorite coffee cup... it breaks the spirit of my little one, and in turn, my heart.

Fortunately I have also learned that with God's help and His word, I can find words to repair my little ones spirit. When that is sufficient, God then mends my broken heart.

1 comment:

  1. This is so hard. I have also hurt my children deeply over ruined material things. I also am getting much better at not doing this. After 9 kids, there's not anything left to break anyway!

    ReplyDelete