Friday, May 31, 2013

Joy Dare: 3 Gifts You Gave Today

I found a beautiful page and blog that has inspired me. And even though I am a procrastinator and didn't find it until a while ago AND still have not done much with it besides look it over, today's joy dare was just too perfect to ignore. SO... I am going to take some time and be thankful for all God has given me.
First things first, here is a link to the page:
A Holy Experience
Her name is Ann Voskamp and she has done a tremendous job of setting up a way for you to easily count 1000 blessings in a year. Even as much as a procrastinator as I am there is no way for me to skip it...


1.  13 Birthday swats to my oldest daughter. I know that sounds like an odd gift, but let me explain. She thinks she is getting too big for our tradition. She, being a 13 year old girl, made a big deal out of not getting birthday swats. With a huge grin, and a "I'm too old for that" attitude, but with a little sadness in her eyes. So today I went into her room before she was awake, sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her 13 swats, a pinch to grow an inch and a sock to grow a block.  She looked at me very confused at first, then realized what I was doing and the sparkle  came into her eyes as she turned over ad covered her head.

That left me with no alternative then to sing to her a little song I have sung for years to the kids when they are being particularly stubborn getting out of bed. "Get up, get up, get out of bed. Get up, you lazy head. It's time to rise and shine and let me know that you are mine..."

With the smile in her eyes now spreading to her face she responds with "what is wrong with you, I'm not yours, you are weird..." My girl. Not too old yet for our birthday tradition. For now she can pretend, but her eyes give her away.  After that it was rush here and rush there and rush to get the car loaded as for her birthday she would spend 24 hours in a crowded car on her way to Georgia for a rifle competition.

In the car only about 6 hours into the 24 hour journey. My beautiful birthday girl.


2.   I wonder if he will ever realize just how hard it is for me to keep my mouth in check when my husband wakes up grumpy. My second gift of the day was to keep my trap shut when all I wanted to do was explain how some of what he was grumping about was something OTHER than what he was saying it was about.

I also know that some days are just not going right from the very start because of what we must get done, or because we just are not looking forward to some event that will take place, or maybe just because we get up on the "wrong" side of the bed.

Granted some of his grumping was legitimate but it was also exaggerated because of all that he holds on his shoulders and in his heart. He works hard to give us all we need and every thing we want if it is at all possible. So as hard as it is for me (I am after all a very stubborn child of God) I did not follow along in his mood. I gave him a big hug and said a prayer that his day would get better, and he would have a chance to relax and enjoy the small moments.

I love this man with all my heart!
 
3.   My wee one did not want to go to bed tonight. She is 3, independent, a big girl, and stubborn (like her momma). She sat on my knee for a bit and saw a picture of a baby smiling float across my screen. She said "I wish I could go in there (the computer) and smile with that baby, I'm too big."  I told her that I have some pictures of her as a tiny baby and we sat for a good hour looking at all the pictures I could find along with some videos.

She made comments along the way that changed from "that baby" to "that's Emma" to "that's me!". "Yes baby, that was you when you were tiny." I said with a smile and a hug. She loved watching the video of herself trying so very hard to talk to me at just 2 months old. She had so much to say and we just did not understand. We even watched her big brothers graduation video. When it came to the part where she was laying so tiny and small in his arms she tapped the screen and said "thank you for holding me Bobby". I had tears. It's been a crazy day and we have a crazy life. At the end of our "up late" quiet time she gave me a big hug, told me thank you, and informed me that she wanted to lay on my lap. I guess she isn't quite so big after all.

Then we sang one little song, over and over...
"Rock a by baby in the tree top. When the wind blows the cradle will rock. When the bough breaks the cradle will fall and ..."
Well, I made the mistake of saying "down will come baby cradle and all" the first time I sang it. She not so gently reminded me as she pulled my chin around to look right at her, that "mommas catch babies when they fall".  Ok, so we sang again.
"Rock a by baby... the cradle will fall and mamma will catch you cradle and all."  But that was not good either so she sang her own version.
"Rock a by baby... the cradle will fall and Emma will catch you cradle and all."  Oh she is a sweet little bug.

She did finally drift off to sleep on my lap like she does every now and then. I know the days of that are coming to an end and soon she will be telling me that she is too big for our little traditions.





Today my gifts given were given back to me with immediate gratification that despite all my mistakes as a mom we have a good life, we have a good family and I have some pretty awesome kids. God has blessed me so much that on days like today, I am truly overwhelmed by his awesome love for me.

I feel that this Joy Dare exercise was put in my path to help me realize that more often. It's easy to bypass these moments, but I do believe that if we stop and ponder on them that they will multiply.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing that Maxine....made me look at the little things that mean so much in my life. Your family is awesome and we are VERY lucky to have you as our neighbor.

    ReplyDelete