Friday, May 10, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Comfort

It's that time again, if you'd like to join in on 5 minute Friday's just follow the link and jump on in. It's fun, easy and interesting to see what everyone else does.
Five Minute Friday

Today's word: comfort

Due to a few comments I've received on one of my posts my view of comfort has taken a bit of a different turn this week.

There is a certain amount of comfort when we surround ourselves with others who think like us etc. Most of us do that naturally. When you put yourself out there in the world of "opposite thinkers" however you open yourself to disagreement and criticism and some down right nastiness from people.

Here's the trick to letting it roll off your back: take comfort in the fact that you are doing the best you can with the tools you have. Take comfort in the fact that NO parent (in this particular case) or person is perfect and if they disagree with your words/ideas/actions know that in the end it does not matter. I choose to raise my kids one way, you choose to raise your kids another. Unless there is some drastic abuse or trauma, they will probably turn out ok. Don't let the negativity of others take away your comfort zone.

Here is another trick... you can take comfort in the fact that no matter what you do or how you raise your children or live your life, your children will make mistakes and take paths that you will not always agree with.

Why do I say you can take comfort in that? Well, because I know a mom who believes that if her child does something they deem "wrong" it must somehow be her fault. Like she has the perfect formula to raising kids and if everyone else would just stay away from them they would turn out perfect. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

God made one perfect person. Jesus. No other person will be perfect ever, on this earth. So yes, take comfort in the fact that you are not responsible for every action/thought/idea/belief your child will ever have in his or her life.

And then take comfort in the fact that when perfect strangers are downright mean about telling you how to live your life ... it is because they feel lacking in some area. They don't really believe that they will make your life better somehow by making nasty and often anonymous comments about some tiny little part of your life. They are simply sounding off.

I felt I had to share this, because a friend of mine read some of the comments on a post and called to tell me how sorry she was that others were being so mean and she was calling to tell me since she  knows my children and family that I do a great job. Now, I'm not saying it was not a HUGE uplifting moment in my day to get such a call... BUT she was a little surprised when I told her thank you, but it really was not that big of a deal. Yes, obviously I have thought about the comments but I have not gotten angry nor upset nor doubted my own beliefs due to a few trolling comments. :) 

Take heart and take comfort in the confidence you should have in how you are doing on this planet. If you lack confidence - figure out why and then get some.... because if you let every stranger who has something to say about you change your attitude, you will not have a very happy, peaceful life.  

Comfort. :) I am in the midst of it. God bless and have a fantastic day... :)

One more thing, for those of you coming here from the five minute friday project, this is supposed to be a positive experience for everyone. Keep your comments positive if you can. I love this project and as I have indicated I have enough confidence in what I do as far as parenting and living my life that it won't make much of a difference but your words could drive others away from this wonderful sharing of ideas and blessings. Keep things kind. Bless one another. If you disagree you can do so without getting nasty. You could even pass over that post without a comment. Kindness to others will breed a positive life for YOU. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Hate to hear that people have been less than encouraging over here. And, you're right, no one is perfect, that's Jesus' job. And, you can disagree with someone but it's all in the way you say it. Everyone is going to live their life differently - and that's ok. Saying a prayer that you would continue writing and being who you were created to be - marvelous, fabulous, wonderful YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete