Friday, March 22, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Remember

I've been watching and reading a friend of mine do these five minute exercises for writing and I love them. I'm just to chicken to join a group. So taking from her blog as inspiration, here's mine. What a great one to do right now... perfect timing. :)

Remember:

     I've shared before about how we would go to my grandparents cabin for Easter. Grandma would hide the eggs in the snow and we would all go searching. I love these memories. As I remember the special times we spent there the pictures flash through my head quickly and randomly depending on the time of year. Eggs in the snow were sometimes easy to find, if the dye had touched the side of the snow as Grandma or Grandpa pushed them in just a little to make it more difficult. We would find almost all of those dozens of eggs then make a mess of egg shells on grandmas table, chairs, floors. She never complained just gave us a paper towel to use for the rest of the shells.

     So when Easter comes around I remember: the ride in the truck all of us squished together, snowmobile rides from the bar parking lot to the cabin, bright eggs hidden in the snow, snow banks several feet high, baskets of toys brought from home, the smell of Easter dinner, lots of people laughing, playing, talking, and the sound of Grandpas heart beating as I laid my head on his chest after playing outside a little too much.
And I wonder, what will my Children remember? We do things differently, but we try to make things special and we've added the religious traditions of Easter too. We focus on remembering how much God loves us, and the importance of remembering that everyday as we go about our lives. Will their memories be just as fond as mine are, no matter the differences?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment