Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On Homeschooling ... do we EVER feel adequate?

     This year we are using Seton Home Studies. I love it. We will stick with this, because it gives me something I have needed. Accountability and deadlines. I have a son at West Point. I feel I've do pretty well, BUT (yes there is a but) it would have been easier for him had I done better. I know this. We've made changes for the other kids, one of which was going with Seton. In the end, I don't think it costs any more than what we've done every other year, it's just all in one chunk. Seton does have a payment plan if needed, so even that is not really true.
     I call them, they answer my questions, give me suggestions, allow me to "run" my homeschool. They keep records, give diplomas, they are accredited, so higher learning institutions are easier to deal with. My children have done more learning this year, and they are already benefiting from my oldest son's suggestions of things that he felt would have made it better for him.
      So, why are there some days when I still don't feel adequate? Because I'm a mom, and a homeschooling mom and no matter what else has happened, I still know that at the end of the day I've got no one to 'blame' but myself if my children fail. I feel lucky really, I at least took the jump. Some moms have children who are not doing well in the public schools, either academically or socially and they don't feel adequate enough to even start homeschooling. I don't blame them, I understand, it's kind of like taking a leap off a cliff.
       I would encourage anyone who reads me, anyone who is "thinking about homeschooling". Research it, there are many moms doing this job in many different ways. There is no perfect fit for every one, and some moms just wont take that leap. But the doors are wide open for your research and it would be a shame if you don't at least take a peak over the edge before backing up and going the road more traveled.
       Today has been a rough day for school, but I still wouldn't trade it for the world because just today I would have missed a lesson in breaks, a cute Arther book, a walk to the library, some sweet kisses and an elated kid who has learned that yes, a boomerang does come back to you (now where are the band-aids?)

No comments:

Post a Comment