Monday, February 27, 2012

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies


I think every person has their own definition of the perfect chocolate chip cookie. And there are some recipes I still want to try BUT in the meantime I took my grandpa's recipe and tweaked it based on some internet "helpers". I found MY perfect chocolate chip cookie.

So the perfect recipe:

1 c. butter, melted (being careful not to burn)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs beaten
4 t. vanilla

2 c. flour (all purpose)
2 t. salt
3/4 t. baking soda

2 to 2 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Mix butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla with a cookie paddle on electric mixer on a med speed till mixed then high speed for 3 min.

Add dry ingredients a little at a time, till mixed.

Add chocolate chips and mix with a spoon (a mixer will break your chips)

Place on cookie sheet by spoonfuls.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 min.

These cookies are crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle. IF you don't want them crisp on the edges you can put the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then DO NOT place cookie dough on a hot cookie sheet between batches.

Never in my life have I found a cookie that is crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle AND still done. Yes, kiddies, it's supposed to be like this.

Now, how did I change this from grandpa's? Well, his had 1 c. white sugar and 1/2 c. brown. I saw another recipe that had them switched and thought I'd try it. Also, I doubled the 2 t. of vanilla. I expected that to taste "odd" but it was just good. And the last thing I changed... he used shortening. I love the added flavor of the butter, not to mention the better taste when you just eat cookie dough.

NOTE: Please don't eat raw cookie dough - there is raw egg in it and this can be a dangerous situation. Personally I've never had issue with it, I suspect about the first time it makes me sick will be the last time I EVER eat raw cookie dough... but some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

Funny little something... Cheeks decided she wanted some cookie dough. She has decided she likes cookie dough better than cookies. She sounds like cookie monster when she says "cookies". When I made these cookies she went to take some dough and I told her "no there are raw eggs in that, you can't have it." She's not quite two and didn't quite understand that, so I showed her the egg shell with egg still dripping out of it. She made the most disgusted face I have ever seen, screamed "dat ukkky" (that yucky) and ran out of the room. I did not have to scold her about getting into the cookie dough again.

No comments:

Post a Comment