Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Happiness begins with straightening out an attitude or two or six.



So today it began with fighting and fussing and the usual "I don't want to" or "Get me some" and as I listened to my children it became very clear to me that we all needed an attitude adjustment.
For my part I need to realize that with 6 people in the house (remember the oldest just went to school) and a dog, that things will sometimes seem chaotic even if they aren't really. Get three kids playing - in the house - and it can sound like a full blown battle raging. :)

Turning my attention to my four little ones however it seems they need an attitude adjustment as well. You see they have fallen into the same pit that I believe is also getting out country in some trouble. It's called the 'pit of entitlement'.

You see, I've had to explain to my children that although they are "entitled" to nourishment so that they may grow, they are NOT entitled to go in and out of the refrigerator as they please. That would be a privilege, and if abused, it can be revoked. Along the same lines, they are entitled to clothes to keep them warm and healthy but not to brand names just because. They are indeed entitled to have a safe and warm place to sleep at night but no one ever said that would have to include all the frilly stuff hanging over the beds, or blankets that are purple instead of rust colored. They are entitled to have a place to wash up, but not an hours worth of hot water in the shower. And in this large family you are entitled to a certain amount of privacy, but you are defiantly not entitled to a single room to yourself for an extended amount of time. You are entitled to let you feelings be known but not to scream it at the top of your lungs. You see where I'm going with this. :)

We have allowed our children to live in a certain amount of luxury, not as much as some but more than others, and they have come to expect that as the minimum. And frankly I've done a lot of things to make sure they have the things they now deem essential. So attitude adjustment all the way around. I'm going to stick to a standard, regardless of how many compromises that might mean and we are all going to learn to live with it.

Mind you the expectation is that things will get worse before they get better. I fully expect that there will be whining, and fit throwing. But in the end I think we will all learn a valuable lesson and also we will all learn to be happier with what we are provided. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment